Halloween Candy = Opportunity for Free Marketing

Thanks to the wonderfully helpful ideas that YOU all submitted in reply to the Forum Q&A last month about advertising, this year for Halloween I am passing out candy that has a note with my studio name and information on it!

I created these tags in Microsoft Word and printed them onto cardstock paper.  I cut out each tag and used a circle of scotch tape to attach the candy to the backside of each tag.  The tags have my studio name, what I do, and my contact information.

I considered printing onto sticky labels, but I was concerned that they wouldn’t get noticed and would simply get tossed out with the wrapper.  A separate card might get handed to the parent, or get left around the house — and hopefully get read!

Even if I don’t get a single phone call after this, I at least want people in my neighborhood to realize that there is a piano teacher nearby.  I have read somewhere that the average person must see a company name three times before they will take action.  This will hopefully count as one time.  :)

Total cost: about $10.  That is what I paid for the large bag of LaffyTaffy’s.  I printed on cardstock paper I already had in the house.  It seems like a pretty affordable way to spread the word about my studio!

This entry was posted in studio business, what I'm up to and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Vivian
    Posted 27 October 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

What a clever idea!

2. Posted 27 October 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Great local marketing and awareness. I hope you get some great new students. One student and your ROI will be huge.

Margaret Sims, Distility.com

3. Posted 27 October 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

What marketing genius. :)

4. Barbara Phipps-Sadu
    Posted 29 October 2011 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

What a fun way to let your neighbours with children know you’re offering piano lessons!

5. Posted 30 October 2011 at 1:20 am | Permalink

Joy, this is brilliant. I totally want to do the same thing now. I just discovered your blog and I love it! Full of great ideas for piano teachers and your printables are FANTASTIC. Very inspiring.

6. Kassia
    Posted 25 September 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Thank you for spend your time posting those wonderful ideas, it is very helpful.

7. Posted 9 May 2016 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Joy, I was wondering if you did get any referrals from this method after all? Thank you for the invaluable service you provide to other teachers, by the way!

• Posted 9 May 2016 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Hello, Sabrina! I did not get any referrals from this method. I can hope, at least, that my neighbors at least became aware of the presence of my studio!