Just Added: Board Game “Adventures in Music”

Just added to the Printables page: a free piano-bench-sized board game for music students, called “Adventures in Music”!

DSC_20130323_120222

I am so thrilled to be offering this game on my website.  This is my first attempt at creating a music game for students, and I’m quite excited about the results.

Here’s the lowdown:

• Designed for 2-4 players Works well during the private lesson, played between teacher and student.  May also be played with a group of 3, 4, or maybe 5 students.
  • Designed for Level 1 music students (equivalent to Level 1 in most method books).

Concepts covered:

• Identifying intervals unison through 5th.
  • Identifying note values and rest values (e.g., quarter note).
  • Identifying notes on the staff (within Middle C position), including sharps and flats.
  • Identifying various music symbols (dynamics, articulations, etc.).

Materials needed:

• 1 or 2 dice – depending upon how quickly you’d like the game to progress.
  • Several pawns or place markers – colored glass baubles from the dollar store work well.
  • Instructions for play are located on the game board.

Printing instructions:

• I would advise printing on cardstock paper, and perhaps even laminating both the board and the playing cards.
  • Page 1 should be printed normally.  This is the game board.
  • Page 4 must be printed onto the backside of Page 2.  This page contains the first category of cards.
  • Page 5 must be printed onto the backside of Page 3.  This page contains the second category of cards.
  • Cut apart the playing cards.

***A special THANK YOU goes to Lilly at LillyArts.com, for allowing me to use her colorful music illustrations on the cards and game board.  Please check out her website to see more of her beautiful artwork.***

To download this free music game, visit the Printables > Games page and scroll down to the B’s for “Board Game: Adventures in Music.”  Enjoy!

Board Game: Adventures In Music (764.2 KiB, 32,567 hits)

This entry was posted in beginners / elementary Level, games, group classes, intermediate level, music camps, music theory, other resources, printables, private lessons, settings: and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted 20 February 2010 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Wonderful Job! I will encourage parents and students to download the game and check out your other resources. You have done an excellent job! Keep up the great work.

2. Alice
    Posted 21 February 2010 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Great game, thank you!

3. Amy Chaplin
    Posted 8 March 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I’m going to try it out in my group class tonight, thanks!

4. Alicia
    Posted 16 August 2012 at 12:36 am | Permalink

Hello Joy
    I absolutely love your ideas with your games, your DIY music staff etc.

Great job with everything that you have done.

May I copy some of your ideas- e.g, games and your DIY music staff?

Alicia

5. Shyan
    Posted 7 July 2014 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Only one problem. How do you download this game

• Posted 7 July 2014 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

As the post describes: “To download this free music game, visit the Printables > Games page and scroll down to the B’s for “Board Game: Adventures in Music.”” If you have any trouble finding it, let me know!

• Shyan
        Posted 9 July 2014 at 7:22 am | Permalink

OK thank you for your great game

6. Karla Mitchell
    Posted 19 April 2015 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

How do I purchase your game. Looks like fun for young ones!

Karla Mitchell

• Posted 25 June 2015 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Hello Karla! You’ll find the link to download the free PDF the post above.

7. Karla Mitchell
    Posted 12 May 2015 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

How do I order?

• Posted 12 May 2015 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Karla, take another look at the end of this blog post. You’ll find the link for downloading the free PDF there.

One Trackback

• By Playing for jelly beans… « Notes of Joy on 30 March 2010 at 9:25 pm

[…] ‘Adventures in Music‘ and I got the idea from a post on Heidi’s blog (but the game is a creation by Joy at Color in My Piano). Go to either link to find the printable (free!) game. It’s a board […]