Thrifty Find: Piano-side Table

Since moving in June, I’ve been gradually getting my studio organized and arranged to my liking.  It is a process!

I love having a tabletop surface nearby when I am teaching.  I’ve been using a TV tray table for this purpose temporarily, with the hope that I would eventually find something that better suits the rest of the room:

20140916_132059 SONY web

I finally found that special “something”…!

20140916_131025 SONY web

It is an old typewriter stand.  I found it at a furniture consignment shop for $60.

20140916_131515 SONY web

I *love* the trapezoid shape.

20140916_132713 SONY web

Just thought I’d share some eye candy with those who I know will “get it!”  :)

P.S.: I’m now on Instagram.  Follow me?

This entry was posted in what I'm up to and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Karina
    Posted 18 September 2014 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

I’ve been using a TV tray table too ;) LOVE your new addition. Perfect size.

2. Posted 18 September 2014 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

I used a tv tray also but wanted something with some storage. I found a rolling cart at Big Lots with 4 good sized cloth drawers in it. Love it!

3. Mary
    Posted 18 September 2014 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

now you can paint it a funky colour!

4. Heather
    Posted 18 September 2014 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

I love the table, and I think we even have one similar around here. Not that awesome shape, but man, I really need a table to write on. I constantly have books and binders falling out of my lap. But I am left handed and need to sit on the right side of the piano so it’s complicated…

Now, what is the paint chip flip book with the stickers in it?

• KathyG
      Posted 19 September 2014 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Yes, what is the flip book with the stickers?

• Posted 19 September 2014 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

That little binder-thing holds index cards that I use for my ongoing incentive program. Each student has their name written on a card. For each page of music that they “pass” or each theory page that they complete, I give the student a sticker on their card. When their card is filled up with 30 stickers, they get to pick out a prize from the prize box. It’s an easy incentive program that I have been using for quite a few years. More details here: http://colorinmypiano.com/2009/03/07/incentive-programs/

5. Posted 19 September 2014 at 1:50 am | Permalink

That’s really cool! While I don’t own an acoustic piano, I do own a digital piano which I use as a MIDI controller for some recording software. A table like that would really convenient for holding my laptop – right now I have it resting on my piano. It’s light, but it slips off pretty easily so I’ve got to be careful.

Thanks for sharing!

6. Annie
    Posted 19 September 2014 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Yes! I found this to be necessary as well. I use a file cabinet that is similar height. And it contains my ‘tools’ for teaching – pencils, stickers, etc…

7. Posted 21 September 2014 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Looks good. Pretty much goes with your room, and adds a nice touch over the previous. Adds a nice accent, and with the chair, looks awesome. I like your blog. But I like your piano even more. I’ve got to get me one of those someday. Sooner is better. Thanks, and keep sharing.

8. Donna
    Posted 21 September 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

I like! I like the shape and character! The old with the new! Just like us! Teaching an age old skill in a new way to a new generation!

9. Posted 24 September 2014 at 1:17 am | Permalink

Hi Joy,

It’s my first time arriving to your site! That’s a cool innovation! As a piano teacher myself, I’m also looking at ways to have a small desk right beside my piano. Especially if you are teaching students, and need some desk to write on.

I will probably consider your method. So far, I have my own table, but its those heavy type, and I can’t possibly drag it beside the piano. Thanks for your idea!

10. Posted 18 January 2016 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Charming blog Joy. I teach piano too.

11. Posted 21 March 2016 at 4:03 am | Permalink

This is pretty innovative stuff, we gotta share it with our teachers at Singapore Piano Hub :D