Piano Student End-Of-The-Year Evaluations

I’m back!  I ended up taking two weeks off instead of one, I know.  :)  But it felt great.  It feels great to be back too.

At the MTNA National Conference in NYC this year, one of the sessions I attended encouraged teachers to do yearly or quarterly assessments/evaluations of their students.  Some teachers accompany these assessments with a parent-teacher-student conference.  A few of the session’s attendees raised their hands to comment on their method of assessment and the benefits they’ve seen.  I was quite intrigued with the idea, and decided I wanted to give it a try this year.

The only time when I’ve done something similar to this is when I was worked at a summer music camp in my hometown.   I was the Theory & Composition Instructor, and the camp director asked each of us instructors to create some kind of assessment that we could send home with the students for the teachers and parents to be able to see what the student learned at camp.  These assessments were very short and sweet, since we had only had contact with the student for four classes over four days.

I started looking around the internet for ideas, and eventually formed a template I’m pretty happy with.  This assessment is not designed to do that same thing that standardized music testing is supposed to do.  It’s much more general.  It’s about communicating to the student and parent about the progress the student is making in various areas and the goals that I have in mind for them in upcoming months.  It is a bit like a report card, but with no actual grades.

Once I created the template, my goal was to be able to complete each one in about 10 minutes.  After all, doing assessments needs to be feasible even for teachers who might have 30 or 40+ students!  I didn’t quite make the 10 minute mark, though.  I averaged more like 20 minutes each, although I did get faster at the end.

Here’s a peek at a sample assessment.  I used a fun, handwriting font to help distinguish my comments from the template.

page 2:

Do you do some kind of evaluation or assessment?  What kinds of things do you include?

If you’d like to download my template, visit the Printables > Studio Business page and scroll down to the S’s for “Student Assessment Sheet.” Or, click the link below.

Student Assessment Template (119.5 KiB, 8,952 hits)

This entry was posted in improving as a teacher, piano pedagogy, private lessons, settings:, studio business and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted 21 May 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Welcome back, we missed you.

2. Posted 21 May 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Welcome back, Joy! Thanks for sharing your assessment sheets with us. I’ve only done this a few times with a few individual students and sent it via email. I like this idea a lot and also like the way that you broke things down into categories.

3. Posted 21 May 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Yes, we missed you!
    I’ve never done an assessment of students – though often thought I should. This looks good – I have 5 weeks till the end of the year so I will have to give it some thought.

• Posted 21 May 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

For me, it was well worth the time and effort. I like the idea of the student collecting these assessments over the years and being able to see their progress from year to year. The made-up sample I posted above was a pretty positive one. For some students, there might be more statements about how we are working on improving certain areas.

Anyway, doing this was very beneficial for me, too! I feel more focused about each student’s progress and goals, which will help me better plan out their curriculum for the future.

4. Ryan
    Posted 21 May 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Joy! I love your site. I tried to contact you via your contact page and get messages returned with an error.

I have been using your musical dice, and would love to see an 8-sided version with Solfege: Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti, and Wild — similar to the musical alphabet dice.

Do you have a blank template (word doc, etc) you could send to me? I would love to learn how to create these types of templates for myself.

Thanks!

5. Aura
    Posted 15 September 2013 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Hi there Joy,

I would love a copy of the blank template as well… do you still have that by any chance?

This is really wonderful information. I just decided I would do monthly progress reports (to make up for the fact that I teach lessons with no breaks in between to talk to the parents). This template will be really helpful and keeps things so nice and neat!

Thank you!

Aura

6. Aura
    Posted 15 September 2013 at 12:21 am | Permalink

Whoops, never mind, I found it!

7. Leonora
    Posted 16 June 2014 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Hi Joy,

I have been reading your site since I started teaching piano just over a year ago. I am still new at this and greatly appreciate the assessment template. Many of your ideas have been quite useful to me.

Do you have a blank that I could use and adapt?

Thanks again for your assistance.

8. Suzanne
    Posted 9 September 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

This is a wonderful template. Do you also have a list of various comments applicable to different students of different levels and achievements?

~Love your creativity!

9. james
    Posted 13 January 2015 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

thanks for uploading this, I have never done a progess report for a student before in 5 years of teaching so far, and this got me started.

10. Lon Sabala
    Posted 18 May 2016 at 6:43 am | Permalink

Practical suggestions – Incidentally if people are requiring a a form , my colleagues edited a template form here http://goo.gl/MOk4O0

11. Geraldine S. Jackson
    Posted 12 July 2016 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Thanks Joy! I attempted to upload your template -End of Year Assessment- twithno success. Is it possible for you to send the template to me via e-mail? I appreciate all that you do to help others including yours truly!

Geraldine Scott Jackson