Scrabble Tiles in the Studio: Music Crossword Project

I just thought I’d share this idea my students and I are enjoying.

Some years back, I used to run an Etsy shop selling handcrafted items. Among the things I crafted, I used to make Christmas ornaments using Scrabble tiles. I still have a ton of tiles from games I purchased for $2 at the thrift store, now just waiting for a fun purpose.

Recently, I had the idea of putting out the tiles out in my studio. When students arrive early for their lessons or wait during a sibling’s lesson, I invite them to add a musical term or composer name to our crossword. They are loving this!

It’s fun to see how the crossword grows from week to week, and which music-related words they choose.

If you want to do this in your studio, all you need are a couple of Scrabble games (you can always sort out the tiles back out into separate games again afterwards) and some table space. I also put out a few music dictionaries, for word inspiration.

I’ll probably leave this out for a month or two, and then set it out again next year.

What other fun activity ideas have you used for your studio waiting room area?

_________________

By the way, here’s another use for Scrabble tiles in the studio:

In my game drawers, I also keep a black drawstring bag of Scrabble tiles containing only the letters of the musical alphabet. I use the tiles as a way for students to randomly choose a letter of the musical alphabet during games such as The Amazing Keyboard Race, or deciding which scale to play that day. Students can also sort the tiles onto the piano keys.

DSC_20140210_135315_1

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

This entry was posted in games, inspiration and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Linda Hyland
    Posted 3 June 2017 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I like this idea! Will be looking for another Scrabble game :) Thanks!

2. Swan Kiezebrink
    Posted 3 June 2017 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I use this exact idea for an ice breaker in my studio Group classes! I set out sets of tiles on the floor in different areas and as the kids come in, they join one and start working on whatever theme I have chosen- works great, especially at the beginning of the year when new kids come in! Another add- on idea I do for a month or two is put up a big sheet of large poster paper on the wall near the door. As they come in, they can add one count or one note of rhythm in their choice of 5 coloured Sharpies, then they have to clap and count everything before theirs plus theirs. That’s a lot of fun too!

• Posted 8 June 2017 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

That’s a great idea, Swan! I will have to get my Scrabble tiles out more often for my monthly Piano Parties!

3. Michelle
    Posted 4 June 2017 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

That’s a great idea. Before the popularity of fidget spinners, I’ve had little things I call fidget toys out on my studio coffee table that the kids can play with while waiting their turn. Or for siblings who have to come along for the ride. The most popular is a book of optical illusions I got at 5 Below. Scrabble tiles is even better because you can see how many words the kids remember…
    One question though… What do you do if a student misspells a word before you get a chance to catch the mistake? DO you just leave it and let another student fix it?

• Posted 8 June 2017 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Only one student has misspelled a word so far, and I corrected it later than evening. I have to neaten the crossword every once in a while anyway, because my cats like to watch across the table. :)

4. Posted 7 June 2017 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Great idea, Joy! I’m sure your students look forward to adding a word each week. I also have a bulk amount of tiles from making ornaments. I think I’ll pull them out to use with my upcoming camp for students who arrive early. Thank you for the creative idea!