Updated Beginner Piano Signs Printable

I’ve added a new sign to the pdf pack called “Signs for Beginner Piano,” which I originally posted in September. ┬áThis new sign shows the 2 mnemonics I use when I teach piano:

DSC_20130105_124056

You can find the whole pdf on the Printables > Other Resources page, and scroll down to the S’s for “Signs for Beginner Piano.”

This entry was posted in beginners / elementary Level, Preschool / Early Childhood Music and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Mary Cumming
    Posted 18 January 2013 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Just thought some might be interested in the story I tell my kids to help them remember the lines and spaces. First of all, I make a big deal out of telling them about “Mrs.” Treble Clef… and how much she loves to make fudge – for “Every Good Boy (who) Deserves Fudge” to stuff in their “FACE”. “Mr” Bass Clef has a name – George Brown – and he’s a farmer (it helps that we own a dairy farm in this instance!) “George Brown Danced Friday Afternoon” while “All (his) Cows Eat Grass”. Usually when the kids start in September, our cows are still out in the field… literally eating grass… so my circumstances help out.

Right now we are in the middle of “mad minute note challenges” where the kids have to name 22 notes in under one minute. For each note they name correctly, they get one small candy. This game is fast – and the kids love to try to beat their last weeks score. When they get all 22, then we move on to level 2 of the game where they point them out on the keyboard as I show them the flashcard. We’ll do this all winter – and you’d be amazed at the results and how it affects how they read their notes.

2. Posted 19 January 2013 at 4:22 am | Permalink

Hi Joy – your website is SO useful – thanks for sharing all your great ideas so generously! Just one tiny comment about your mnemonic for the left hand – I find it better to say A Cow Eats Grass, as the ‘A’ is phonetically correct whereas ‘All’ sounds like ‘or’ . This is more in line with children’s reading process, at least in UK – not sure about US?
    But thanks again for all your fantastic ideas and resources.

• Posted 28 January 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

What an interesting idea! I’ve never had a student have difficultly connecting the word “all” to “A”. In the U.S., the pronunciation of “all” doesn’t much sound like “or.” I found a website that allows you to hear a U.S. speaker say “all.” (click here: http://www.forvo.com/word/all/#en) Maybe you can tell me if it is much different from the U.K. pronunciation?

• Posted 29 January 2013 at 5:41 am | Permalink

I typed a lengthy reply about phonetics and then it told me it was too ‘spammy’ to send! Shame!

3. Michelle
    Posted 19 January 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

My students love the giant staff too. One thing I learned from a 6 year old… “All Cows Eat Green Beans” I like it because it includes the “B” space in the middle as well. Needless to say, my “cows” haven’t eaten grass in a while… LOL!

Great website. My kids loved the lap books on Bach we did last month too.
    Thanks for sharing your resources.

• Posted 28 January 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I like to teach bass clef B as “balancing” on the staff, and the treble clef D as “dangling” from the staff. :)

I’m so glad to hear that your students enjoyed making the Bach lapbook, Michelle!