Making Music Worksheets Using Rhythm Fonts

A frequent question I receive from blog readers is about what method/software do I use to make music worksheets.  Since discovering music fonts (and publishing my blog post on music fonts last Spring), I have been using music fonts more and more for my printables and using Finale less and less.  Finale is great and totally necessary for printing compositions and arrangements, but it’s not quite as convenient for making music worksheets.

To help answer some of those questions about how to get started using music fonts for creating music worksheets, I decided to create a quick video showing the process for creating a rhythm worksheet using my two favorite music fonts: MusiSync and Rhythms.  These two fonts are so simple to use, you might not even need a character map (as described in the full post about music fonts).  Before getting started, you will need to download and then install both of these fonts onto your computer.  You will also need the program Microsoft Publisher (part of the Microsoft Office suite), or a similar program.

It’s my first try doing a video tutorial.  Let me know what you think.  :)

Update: Here is a follow-up video that talks about using two other fonts, that will allow you to create melodic examples in your worksheets.  And here is one more video tutorial, showing another option for making worksheets: using png image files of various music symbols.

This entry was posted in rhythm, technology and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted 25 March 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I would never have thought to use MS Publisher. Your previous post on fonts is very helpful, as well. I’ve been using MS Paint and a variety of clip art, but your process is much more efficient.

2. Denise
    Posted 25 March 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing, it really is a lot easier than using finale.
    Is there also a simpler way to draw fragments of melodies instead of doing it on finale, e.g. a whole page of 1 – 2 bar phrases for melodic dictation?

• Posted 25 March 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Stay tuned for a post later this week (or possibly next week) that might be helpful for that. ;)

3. Deanna
    Posted 25 March 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

LOVE the tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing Joy. I can’t wait to get started. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions on making shape song worksheets. Have you ever created shape songs using rhythm fonts?

• Posted 25 March 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

No, I haven’t ever experimented with shape notes. There might be fonts available for them – who knows? I’d Google it and see what comes up!

4. Posted 25 March 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

You are wonderful!!! Thank you so much for sharing this information–so helpful!!

5. Anne
    Posted 25 March 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

This is great!! Thanks! Do you know if this will work in Pages as opposed to the Microsoft programs?

• Posted 25 March 2013 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

I haven’t tried it, but it should probably work just as well!

6. Posted 25 March 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Awesome, thanks for the tutorial.

7. Posted 25 March 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Oh, my goodness! I wish I had know how to do this before I created 7 levels of theory tests for our local piano festival! Thank you – will be easier next time!

8. Maryjane Peluso
    Posted 25 March 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Hi Joy,
    I really liked your demo! So clear and concise and easy to follow.
    I’m always looking for new stuff (love those two new music fonts).
    Also it was fun to actually hear your voice :)
    Thanks!
    Maryjane

9. Susan Hong
    Posted 25 March 2013 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Hi Joy :)

Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas and your kindness for sharing with us
    your knowledge. You are much appreciated !!

Susan

• Posted 25 March 2013 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Hi Susan,

You are the one who inspired me to do this as a video, so thank YOU! :) :)

• Susan Hong
        Posted 26 March 2013 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks Joy :) Look forward to many more years of your talent !!

10. Posted 26 March 2013 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Fabulous post, Joy! I’ve got a related question: I had a lot of incentive sheets and worksheets that I did on Publisher when I had a PC. I’ve had to delete all those that I did with Publisher for PC because I couldn’t figure any way to convert them. I’m kind of doubting there is any way to do that, but I thought I would ask you if you think it’s possible.

• Posted 26 March 2013 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Forgot to mention I have a Mac now and Office for Mac.

• Posted 26 March 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Huh, I would have thought that the files would open just fine in Publisher, even when going between PC and Mac. What happened when you tried to open the files in the Mac Publisher/Word? Did they refuse to open?

11. Posted 26 March 2013 at 3:46 am | Permalink

THANK YOU! I cannot express how happy I am to know about these music fonts! I have struggled with creating games and materials for my students because I could not find a good way to do musical notation. The tutorial was great. I just whipped out my own rhythm worksheet to tie in with an activity we did at group class today. I am so thrilled to know how to do this.

12. Amy Chaplin
    Posted 26 March 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Love this! Thank you so much! I’ve just been doing it the hard way…with clip art, eek! Would love to see an easy way to incorporate other music symbols and staff notes.

13. Andrea
    Posted 3 April 2013 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Amazing tutorial!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Please do more of these…so helpful. :)

14. Grace Tan
    Posted 28 August 2013 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

An avid fan of your site. I was planning to start a blog to share my experiences and have these ideas on paper. Didn’t know how to get it on the blog and also how to make worksheets. All I have to say is that, you are a life saver. Thank you for all your effort and your sharing. Will try to jump start my life long dream……of writing.

15. Andrew J Dorsett
    Posted 2 November 2013 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks. You did a great job.

16. Natalie
    Posted 30 January 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for the tutorials! My husband can make them for me in Illustrator or Photoshop, but I have to wait for him to have the time. Now I can make them by myself! Thank you, thank you!