Instruments of the Orchestra Study – FREE Orchestra Stage Pieces

With my music homeschool class, we have been studying the instruments of the orchestra.  We started this endeaver a long time ago, starting with completing the Musical Instruments Workbook.  We have also used Robert Levine’s book: The Story of the Orchestra, and frequently played this review game for remembering the names/families of the instruments.

When I found this “stand-up symphony” download from the St. Louis Symphony website, I knew this would be another great way to review the instruments — as well to as learn where the members of the orchestra sit onstage.

This was such a fun class project!  Over the course of a couple of months, we cut out the figures, colored them, and then folded/taped them so they could stand.

Aren’t these little figures cute?!

The stage is my own creation, designed to work with the figures.  I designed the sections of the orchestra in Microsoft Word and printed them out.  Then, I glued the pieces onto a piece of black posterboard to create a “stage.”

I store all the orchestra members in a shoebox.  Every week when we got out the materials to work on this project, we started by sorting all the figures onto the stage in their appropriate sections.  Even though we have finished the project, I still pull it out every now and then as a quick review to begin our class.

I am taking my homeschool music class on a field trip to see a children’s concert put on by the Toledo Symphony in a few weeks.  They are so tickled that they will get to see and hear these instruments live!

You can download the stage pieces on the Printables > Other Resources page by scrolling down to the O’s for “Orchestra Stage Pieces.”  The orchestra figures are downloadable from the St. Louis Symphony’s website (click here for the”Stand Up Symphony” musician paper doll coloring activity link).

This would make a great studio project to work on during monthly group classes as you learn about the instruments.  Or, if you have a waiting room area, perhaps you could have students work on creating an orchestra together that way!

Also: Just wanted to remind you all to enter the NoteWorks app giveaway if you haven’t already — today is the last day to enter!  The more I use the app, the more I am impressed with it.  Stay tuned to hear the winner announced tomorrow!

This entry was posted in beginners / elementary Level, group classes, music camps, other resources, Preschool / Early Childhood Music and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted 20 September 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

What a great way to teach instruments and sections of the orchestra, and your stage addition is so clever!

2. Posted 20 September 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

This is super cute!

3. Posted 29 September 2012 at 1:35 am | Permalink

Love it! Thanks for sharing this, Joy! I’m excited to try it with my students next time we study anything orchestra-related.

4. Char
    Posted 27 May 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Great resource! Thank you so much!

5. Posted 27 October 2014 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Hey – you don’t happen to have a PDF of the stand up figures for the orchestra ? I can’t find it in the link. any more… they must have removed it or moved it? So cool wish I could find the little figures!

6. Ann
    Posted 5 October 2015 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Absolutely thrilled with the ‘stage’ orchestra and figures. I am not a music teacher but this is a perfect introduction for a regular classroom project.

7. Emily
    Posted 25 August 2016 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Any chance their is somewhere else to get the stand up figures? The link to the St. Louis Symphony no longer exists :( This looks like a wonderful project, especially for my younger students!

• Posted 30 August 2016 at 9:58 am | Permalink

I just sent you an email, Emily.

• Jessica
        Posted 8 September 2016 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Can you please send me the link with the stand up figures? Love that idea!

• Jennifer
        Posted 17 April 2017 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Emily. is there are way for my to get the stand up printouts? My email is jenpd23@yahoo.com

8. Kate
    Posted 10 September 2016 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Hi Joy.
    I would love to try out those “stand up figures” for the orchestra with my class. They look absolutely brilliant. I looked all over the net and didn’t come across them. Any chance you might still have them?

9. Laura Kilpatrick
    Posted 21 September 2016 at 7:19 am | Permalink

Hi Joy
    Fab way to teach members of the orchestra. Could I also ask for a copy of the figures as I’ve scoured the internet and found none of them. Laura

10. Merle
    Posted 22 September 2016 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Could you please send me this link. I have searched endlessly with no luck. Thanks in advance.

11. Phylies Kusama
    Posted 13 October 2016 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Dear Joy,
    If you could kindly share the stand up orchestra figures it would be great. The link is definitely not working to the the Saint Louis Symphony’s download, and I even wrote to them and did not receive a reply. I would love to be able to have my students make the orchestral setting like the one you showed. Is there a way that you could put the figures into a download from your site if you still have them?
    Thank you so much!

12. Stephanie Covington
    Posted 24 October 2016 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Could I receive the pdf for the figures…this is so cool…but I can’t find anything out there except broken links…many thanks, Stephanie

13. Kelsey
    Posted 26 October 2016 at 10:58 am | Permalink

I can’t find the figurines either…any way you could send them to me? Thanks, Kelsey

14. Rachelle
    Posted 29 October 2016 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Any chance you could send me the figurines too? Thanks!

Rachelle
    rmatychuk@mts.net

15. Rachel
    Posted 3 November 2016 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Me too, please? I’d love to use them too! Thank you!

16. elaine ewen
    Posted 8 January 2017 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Love this idea! Please could you mail me link for colouring figures as page has been removed.

Many thanks

17. Suvi Kirsi Korhonen
    Posted 9 January 2017 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Hello,

As I also find this a wonderful and fun way to study the instruments, would it be possible for you to send me the figurines as well?

Ever grateful,

Suvi-Kirsi

18. Tina Jones
    Posted 17 January 2017 at 1:54 am | Permalink

I was also looking for the figures online and came to a dead end. Please, add me to the list of those receiving the email version!
    Thank you so much. I’m so looking forward to sharing this project with my grade 3 music students.

Cheers,
    Tina

19. Nicole
    Posted 18 January 2017 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Hello. Would you please send me the orchestra figures. They look wonderful, but the link does not work. Thanks.

20. Tara Monrose
    Posted 26 January 2017 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Can you please send me the file for the orchestra peices? I am a going to start a lesson on parts of the Orchestra with my Gifted and Tallented students and would love to have these to let them visually see how to assemble an orchestra.

My email is tjmonrose@alvaradoisd.net

21. Linda
    Posted 9 February 2017 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Me too. I love the stand up orchestra. Could you please send me the link as well.

Linda

22. Lori
    Posted 10 February 2017 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Is it possible to get the stand up figures emailed to me. Thank you!

23. Ann Mullen
    Posted 18 February 2017 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I want to do this project with my 7th graders and printed out the orchestra chart, but cannot find the stand up characters/instruments…I have tried everything! Help please!

24. Kelly
    Posted 21 February 2017 at 4:51 am | Permalink

Joy, you have so many useful worksheets! I make 3d paper nativities, and we are getting ready to study orchestra. These stand up orchestra pieces and the stage you created are awesome! Could you send me the pdf as well? I am going to share them with the 25 other home school families in my CC community as well.

25. Rosa
    Posted 21 February 2017 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Me gustaria tener el pdf con los imprimibles de los instrumentos de la orquesta.
    Me parece muy buena idea. Un saludo

26. cathyconvery
    Posted 22 February 2017 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Could you you please send me the stand up symphony figurines??

cpaddock@waterfordmontessori.org

27. Posted 23 February 2017 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Hello – I did a search and came up with this link:

Hope it helps!

28. Laura Stiller
    Posted 14 March 2017 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Well, I’m not sure if you’re still checking these comments, but a friend shared your blog with me as we are studying the orchestra with our Classical Conversations community and I would LOVE a copy of the stand up figures. Are you still emailing them out?

lstiller@gmail.com

• Julia G
      Posted 3 April 2017 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Not sure if you received the link but the comment directly above yours has the link and I just printed them out. Works great!

29. Julia G
    Posted 3 April 2017 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

The link to the figures no longer works! Is there any other way to find these. Was looking forward to doing this:)

• Julia G
      Posted 3 April 2017 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

nevermind. I see the link posted a few comments back. Works perfectly!

One Trackback