2013 Music of the World Camp Details

Good news!  The Music of the World Camp curriculum is ALMOST ready to be listed in the Shop.  :)  I’ll keep you updated.  Update: The Music of the World camp curriculum is now available for purchase in the Shop!  View the description page here.

As I alluded in my previous post, I used lapbooking as the method of study for the countries we visited each day.

DSC_20130807_095911

I took my students’ photos on the first day of camp for their passports.  I also made sure to “stamp” their passports before and after each flight.

passport collage

On Day 1, we visited Australia and we made didgeridoos.  I managed to find mailing tubes and decorative fabric/paper at a local recycle art store.

DSC_20130805_120550

We also visited China and made gongs, but I forgot to take photos that day.  :(

After visiting Ghana and learning about African drum ensembles, we made out own drums made out of recycled canisters (coffee, oatmeal, etc.).

DSC_20130807_113154

I loved seeing how students personalized their drums!  You can watch a little video we made of our little drum ensemble playing here on YouTube.

DSC_20130807_114418

As students assembled their country lapbooks each day, I showed a PowerPoint presentation about the country and its music/instruments.  I also played examples of each culture’s music for them to listen to.

DSC_20130808_104618

After visiting Peru, we assembled Andean panflutes using straws and tape.

DSC_20130808_113212

Students had time to make both a diatonic scale panflute as well as a pentatonic scale panflute.

DSC_20130808_112840

Some of my students stated that the Music of the World camp was their favorite camp of the summer, mostly because they loved being able to make their own instruments.

Do you remember my cat, Coda?  My students love playing with her during their siblings’ lessons and she likes to get involved during camp, too.  I created this silly little photo for my studio facebook page:  :)

DSC_20130808_113116-004

This entry was posted in music camps and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Robbin
    Posted 15 August 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

I’m making a presentation to a group of homeschooling moms about classes that I would like to teach. Guess where I’m getting my material! Yep, straight from you. I don’t want to order anything until I know what classes the moms are most interested in. Could you describe the age levels that you think would most enjoy each camp? I have found that with homeschoolers, the children can often span a wider age range than public school children. That’s probably because of their being used to working with older or younger siblings. What do you suggest?

2. Robbin
    Posted 26 August 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I have tons of children interested in this camp. Hooray! One group is going to made up of almost exclusively 5-year-olds. I’m thinking of a few modifications to the material for them since they’re so young. I may read a story instead of talking about the population, etc.

Did you have activities for the children to use their newly-made instruments? For the drums I have my old standby: “Come play the drum game, use your ear. Then repeat just what you hear.” Kids of all ages love to repeat rhythms! What did you do for the other instruments?

• Posted 28 August 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Hi Robbin! I didn’t have the time to do much with the handmade instruments after my students created them, unfortunately. Mostly, the students just improvised on their instruments alone or together for a few moments before the end of camp. Coming up with some specific activities for the instruments would certainly be a great extension to the curriculum!

3. Robbin
    Posted 15 September 2013 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Joy, the lapbook pages refer to the material as Summer Camp. I’m teaching this twice during October. Any way you could send me a pdf without that phrase? Otherwise, I guess I could use old-fashioned Whiteout!

• Posted 31 October 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I have updated the camp materials to read “music camp” instead of “summer music camp,” in case there are others who would like to use this camp year-round. Thanks for catching that, Robbin!

4. Kimberley B.
    Posted 19 February 2014 at 3:16 am | Permalink

Hi Joy… you do amazing work – what an inspiration. I’m looking at purchasing your camp materials. One question though… any advice on what you would charge for such a thing? Thanks so much.

5. Kimberley B.
    Posted 19 February 2014 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Just to clarify… what you would charge students for the camp. Thank you.

6. Merrilee M.
    Posted 18 June 2015 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Joy, I can’t thank you enough for this curriculum! I taught the camp this week and had 17 students. We all had a blast. I can’t recommend it highly enough. Thanks again!

• Posted 25 June 2015 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Merrilee, for your comment! It makes me so happy to hear what fun you had with your students with the world music camp curriculum!!

7. Michelle
    Posted 21 October 2016 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Hi Joy, approximately how much does it cost for the materials to make the instruments?