Music Keys Matching Worksheets & More

Some months ago, I found these fun keys at a craft store for $1 each.  I bought 12 of them.  (Can you tell where this is going?)  :)

DSC_20130625_091516

Using a paint pen, I wrote the names of the 12 keys on the ends of each one.

DSC_20130625_091400

At the beginning of the lesson when the students warms-up with their pentascales/scales/arpeggios, I can ask the student to randomly choose a key to see which one(s) we will review that day.

I’ve also used these keys for simple activities such as asking students to draw scales or chords on paper or on a paper staff with glass gems.  Technique and theory is a little bit more fun when students get to randomly choose the key instead of the teacher, and it is always fun to have a cute prop.

If you would like to have your own set of metal keys, you may be able to find vintage keys on Ebay or Etsy.com.

After the success of these metal keys, I wondered if I could make a printable of 12 keys that I could print off for my students.  After learning each scale, I could award the student with a key to add to their keyring which could be kept on their piano bag.  Here is what I came up with:

DSC_20130701_165441

In case you don’t feel like cutting out keys for each student, I also made a simple checklist version:

Music Keys screenshot.png

I was having so much fun with these key images that I also decided to make a set of worksheets for matching each key to the correct key signature.  I ended up creating a colorful digital version of the worksheets for use on the iPad, as well as a printer-friendly, black-and-white version.  Here is a peek at the digital version being used on my iPad Mini and the app GoodNotes:

IPad mini matching music worksheets

You can download the printer-friendly key cut-outs, checklist, and worksheets on the Printables > Worksheets page under “Music Keys Printable.”

Music Keys Printable & Worksheets (4.2 MiB, 8,258 hits)

You can download the colorful, iPad friendly version of the worksheets on the Printables > For iPad page.

Matching Music Keys (2.9 MiB, 3,248 hits)

This entry was posted in music theory, worksheets and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted 2 August 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Love it! Great idea!

2. Ginger
    Posted 2 August 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I will definitely use this with my students this year. What craft store carries these and how long are they? Thanks, Joy! : )

• Posted 2 August 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Hi Ginger, I bought those keys at Michael’s craft store, in the dollar section, but it was back at Christmastime. I’m not sure if they will have them anymore or not! They measure about 3 inches in length.

3. Lisa McCluer
    Posted 2 August 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Wow – I am so excited to use the worksheet and key document! I also love the idea of using real keys on a key chain. Thanks, Joy!

4. Posted 2 August 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Creative! Generally have just had students pull a slip of paper out of a basket or hat with the key that we will work on that day…but the idea of adding a different key to your ring everytime you master a scale is really cool, especially for younger students who don’t actually have keys of their own! They really take ownership and pride in those physical things!

5. Posted 2 August 2013 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

What a brilliant idea! I am definitely throwing this one in my “get it done before fall lessons start” pile! Thanks!

6. Posted 3 August 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Excellent idea, Joy! At what store did you find the keys? Was it a chain store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby? Thanks for sharing your prints.

7. Ginger
    Posted 3 August 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

I am having trouble printing this. I tried printing others of your worksheets, with no problem. Are others having trouble printing, too?

8. Posted 5 August 2013 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Ingenious idea as always, Joy!

Thank you, as ever, for providing so many wonderful resources for free.

9. Susan
    Posted 7 August 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Awesome worksheet !! I already tried it out on the ipad and it works great :)

Kids really enjoy it and learn at the same time….. Thx again Joy !!

10. Judy
    Posted 8 October 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Joy, I absolutely LOVE this idea! So good, really. But I have a question (one with an obvious answer probably, but I’m a bit slow!) – what about minor scales? Do you just use the majors based on the assumption that the student will know its relative minor? Sorry if it’s a silly one :)

• Posted 21 October 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Judy! I’m not sure if I understand your questions exactly, but I think the worksheets and the keys can work however you desire to use them. You could ask students to play either the parallel or relative minor, depending on your preference! The worksheets make clear in the title whether the student is supposed to be matching major or minor key signatures.

11. Becky Barber
    Posted 30 July 2016 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Another idea is to make a simple spinner out of a paper plate, brad in the middle and a paper clip to let the students spin and see which scale to play that day! Thanks for this idea, Joy! I needed something new for scales incentive in my studio!

One Trackback

• By Friday Favourites | Discover Singing on 3 May 2014 at 7:30 pm

[…] Music Keys Matching Worksheets & More (Color in my Piano) – Amazing idea for anyone dealing with scales in their music practice. I’m off to print some of these for my own piano practice. […]