Fun Little Drawers

For a while now, I’ve been looking for something with more drawers to put in my studio.  I have lots of drawers across the room, but I wanted something small enough for the spot next to my chair when I teach.

I recently found this fun little filing cabinet for $30 at a thrift store:

DSC_20130627_104445

I just had to share a photo with some fellow teachers who would understand my excitement!  :)  I can’t wait to fill it up with my games pieces, flashcards, music dice, etc.

This entry was posted in studio business and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Crystal
    Posted 27 June 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I understand! Good find!

2. Kerry Drombosky
    Posted 27 June 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

This is so useful! the deep drawer on the top would be great for small percussion instruments as well as games and flash cards. I can just imagine myself filling up those shallow drawers with the sheet music , methods materials and “downloads” that I use all the time.- good for you- this is a great find!

• Posted 27 June 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

The top part is actually flips open from the top for holding hanging files. It is perfect for sheet music or Student Info forms, etc. The drawers are too short for sheet music, but perfect for lots of odds and ends! :)

3. Penny Brown
    Posted 27 June 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I got a filing cabinet last year to put music and theory stuff in. I painted it white and I got black music notes and put them on the front of the drawers. I got the music notes in the scrapbooking dept. at Hobby Lobby, It looks so cute.

4. Scott
    Posted 27 June 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

That’s so funny! I purchased my first set of filing cabinets on Craigslist last week for $25. I believe the sense of organization is similar to the pleasure we get in music.

5. diane
    Posted 27 June 2013 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Thrift stores are the best!

6. Aletta
    Posted 28 June 2013 at 3:15 am | Permalink

Woooohoooo!!! Treasure chest of drawers ;-)

7. becky
    Posted 29 June 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I’m soooo excited for you! I’ve been organizing and sorting my music and game supplies this summer too. I turned a coat closet into a 4 shelf storage area and I’m not quite sure if I’m happy with it yet or not. Time will tell. One thing I LOVE though is my new over the door shoe thingy which gives me tons of clear pockets for flash cards and games!:):) I’m sure others have already thought of this!

8. Amy Chaplin
    Posted 29 June 2013 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

I know exactly how,you feel! I searched for a long time trying to find the perfect filing drawer set by my teaching area with the right functionality and the right price! So fun!

9. Rachel
    Posted 3 July 2013 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Awesome find! Please repost it you decide to paint, label, or otherwise decorate it. I’d love to see the “before and afters.”

Q: Do you have “mailboxes” for your students? I’m trying to figure out what will work at my place where each student will have access to his/her own slot for incoming/outgoing papers, payments, activities, and such. If anyone has a thought or is using something now I’d love to hear it!

• Posted 5 July 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

No, I don’t currently have a mailbox system. Most of my correspondance with students and their parents is via email. If I do need to give out hard copies of something, I print them and write the students’ names on each paper and give them out at lessons that week.

10. Donna
    Posted 15 July 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

I would love to have one of these cabinets. Do you have any idea what company or manufacturer made this?

• Posted 2 August 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Donna, Sorry, I can’t find any indication as to who made this file cabinet! It is definitely old, so I’m not sure it is being made anymore.