2013 “I Got Rhythm” Camp

As indicated in the sneak peek post, I held a rhythm camp called “I Got Rhythm!” last week.  :)  We met for 4 days in a row, 2 hours each day.

DSC_20130617_110755

The core of the camp was the workbook, which I created myself.  It covers various aspects of rhythm in a systematic way, similar to that described in my recent article that was published in the SoundPoint newsletter.  We began be discussing pulse and meter, and moved on to rhythm values and time signatures only after they were fluent in aurally identifying duple, triple, and quadruple meters as well as simple versus compound meters.

I was very pleased with how the workbook helped my students gain a better understanding of the role of timing/rhythm in music!

DSC_20130618_104814

Each day, we completed a craft.  Pictured below are Secret Rhythm Keychains/Bracelets.  Students chose either 3/4 or 4/4 time and then composed rhythms using black and white beads to represent quarter notes and half notes.  We used clear beads to represent the barlines.  I told students they could chose whether or not they were going to reveal to their family/friends that their keychain/bracelet contains a secret rhythm.  :)  (I saw this idea somewhere on Pinterest a while back.)

DSC_20130618_113820

Another day, our craft was to compose rhythms using black and white punched circles:

DSC_20130619_114111

DSC_20130619_114154

We also completed a variety of rhythm worksheets together.  Perhaps most importantly, we made lots of music together, too!  Each day, we tapped/vocalized rhythms from a rhythm packet I created.  And we began each day with call-and-response style Rhythm Tapbacks.  I tapped out the rhythms using my new little djembe drum.  I love this thing!  I have started using it during private lessons, too.  It makes rhythm tapping a little bit more fun for students.  :)

photo (1)

On the last day of camp, we even prepared a rhythm ensemble arrangement of Grieg’s In The Hall of the Mountain King.  Here is our video:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS2fbatwws8

I am hoping to make the I Got Rhythm camp available in my shop in the upcoming weeks!  I will keep you updated.

This entry was posted in music camps, rhythm and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Aleta M
    Posted 25 June 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

What fun!!! Great to see how your music camp went!!! Once one “gets” rhythm, then music can be enjoyed a bit more!!! Looking forward to seeing your music camp in the shop!

2. Bev
    Posted 2 July 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait to get your music camp material! I found your article on rhythm so helpful, I printed it and am carrying it around with me as a reminder when I’m teaching (I’m a “mobile” teacher!)

3. Cara
    Posted 31 December 2013 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Such a fun-looking camp! Is it available for purchase?

• Posted 3 January 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I was planning to make it available in my shop, but have been thinking about instead making it available in some other format — perhaps an interactive iBook. I’m not sure yet. :) Thanks for asking!

4. Diann Livingston
    Posted 13 January 2014 at 9:55 am | Permalink

I really would like to do this camp this summer! I am gathering the information now. Do you have the materials available for purchase? I would prefer a printable curriculum.

5. Angela
    Posted 4 April 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Me too! Do you have the rhythm workbook available? I’d be interested in purchasing it. Just discovered your website btw, LOVING IT! Thanks for sharing all your great ideas. It’s a blessing to many of us piano teachers who don’t have time to put things together like this. So awesome. Thanks!

6. Karina
    Posted 15 May 2014 at 2:00 am | Permalink

I would LOVE to do the “I Got Rhythm” camp too! When will it be available for purchase? You are amazing Joy!

7. Beth
    Posted 25 February 2015 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I too am interested in doing this camp this summer and would love to purchase your workbook materials. Are you going to make them available?

8. Morgan
    Posted 16 March 2015 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

I want to buy a printable version! Please??

9. Raegan
    Posted 24 March 2015 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

I would love to have access to this for camps, as well! You have such amazing ideas. Thank you so much for sharing with us!

10. Rhonda
    Posted 19 June 2015 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Has “I got Rhythm” become available for purchasing yet?

11. Amy
    Posted 11 December 2015 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

I’m very interested in this camp. Will it be available for purchase?

Thanks for all you do!

• Posted 15 December 2015 at 9:06 am | Permalink

At some point, it will be, Amy — but not anytime soon. I might offer this camp again to my own students next summer, which would give me the opportunity to revise the curriculum enough to be able to sell it!