My Assignment Notebook Method

Last Thursday, we started a Forum Q&A discussion about assignment notebooks/pages for students.  Today, I thought I’d share my own method of tracking assignments — and, of course, also announce the winner of the giveaway!

The winner of the sheet music decorative balls is commenter #5… LaDona!  Congrats!!  (By the way, if you haven’t seen LaDona’s wonderful blog before, you can check it out here.)

My method of tracking assignments is very similar to what many of you do: I write in a journal-sized notebook.

I always start with the date and then I outline any warmup/technique exercises (5-finger patterns, arpeggios, scales, etc).  The photos in this post show a made-up but typical assignment page:

Each book is listed along with the page numbers of the assigned pieces.  I always include brief notes for what I will be listening for at the next lesson.  My students know that in order to “pass” each piece, they will need to reach those goals first!  This is good motivation for them to read their notebook as they practice throughout the week.  We often mark up the score too, but I find the notebook is a good place to put overall goals and comments.

When students forget to bring their notebook to the lesson (which doesn’t happen very often, fortunately), I use a separate sheet of paper for their assignment that day and tell them to staple or tape it into their notebook when they get home.

So that’s my current method!  Someday, I’d love to try a digital method, like some of you described in the comment section of last week’s post.  For now, my current system is working well.  I have no trouble keeping up with the pace of the lesson — I am a fast writer, and  I usually jot my notes down while students are finding the next page, putting a sticker on their finished pieces, etc..

I’ve heard of another great idea for assignment pages for more advanced students.  I think I probably read it on the Yahoo group for piano teachers (please let me know if you happen to know who I can credit this idea to).  Instead of organizing chronologically by date, each page of the notebook is for each piece that the student is working on.  I really like the idea of having a progression of notes and comments from the very first week, especially for lengthy, involved repertoire!

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your assignment method!

This entry was posted in improving as a teacher, private lessons, professional development and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted 8 March 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the link, Joy.
    The notebook worked for years for me, too, but now that I’ve gone digital I’ll never go back….
    Looking forward to getting my prize in the mail!

2. Posted 10 March 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Our methods seem very similar! I like how you encourage students to attain each goal before a piece is “passed.” Like you said, it’s a nice way to get them to read the notebooks! (Which is something I need to work on with several of my students!)

One thing I like to do – when a student has a good lesson (passing songs, or learning new concepts and using problem solving skills) we add a sticker to the outside. It’s a fun way to decorate and make the journal “theirs.” :)

3. Krysten
    Posted 12 March 2012 at 12:21 am | Permalink

Your notebook method is almost identical to mine! Only I also add a practice chart along the right side for my students to record practice time. Even with all of the directions that I write in their notebooks, though, I still have students who never even open them during the week. =P

4. Alice
    Posted 12 March 2012 at 8:52 am | Permalink

My system is similar, although I write in a dictation book so I’ve got staff paper there if needed. However, for the pieces, I write the title — I think a student is more likely to play musically if they’re thinking of their piece as “Quiet Waters” or “Hurricane Hop” rather than “page 12″.

5. lacey
    Posted 18 September 2012 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

I ditched the notebook a few years ago. I found that they would get lost or forgotten and then I was completely lost about what to do in the lesson. I also heard students come to lessons saying ” i didn’t know what page to practice” that was with it written in the notebook. Most of the time the notebook was never even opened. So i switched to sticky-notes and flags. A sticky flag goes on the page they are to play for the week,(so you can see it sticking out) Instructions for the song go on the bigger sticky note that goes directly on the song. This works great for songs that are worked on mulitlple times I can move the instructions around so the student has less tendency to skip over them because they see them in the same place over and over. i do miss being able to go back in the notebook to see the progress but I don’t think my students care at all.

6. Posted 21 February 2013 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing about the Yahoo group for piano teachers! I just sent a join request, hope they approve so I can check it out.