Today marks the three-year anniversary of Color In My Piano! HOORAY! It’s been such an exciting year, and I’m so thrilled to have been able to share my experiences with you all. Thank you all for your support and for making this blog such a fun place to share resources and ideas with each other. I can hardly believe Color In My Piano has been online for three years already.
Below is a run-down of the history of the Color In My Piano blog, as well as details about a GIVEAWAY! Read on.
The First Year:
- It was on February 28, 2009 that I first conceived of this blog and wrote my first post: a welcome and brief statement of purpose. I found my inspiration largely from Natalie Wickham’s Music Matters Blog and Susan Paradis’ Piano Teacher Resources. My blog was initially a free wordpress blog, titled “Piano Teaching Blog” (or something similar). At this point, I was running a successful piano studio of about 20 students out of my parent’s home, and finishing up my Bachelor’s degree in piano performance.
- In May of 2009, I graduated with my Bachelor’s degree. Over the summer, my husband and I moved so we could attend graduate school the next year. Unfortunately, this meant I had to “give away” all my piano students and find new ones.
- On July 9, 2009, I decided that I was enjoying blogging enough to go full swing: I came up with the title “Color In My Piano,” bought my own domain name and a year’s worth of web hosting, and gave the site a whole new look.
- In August of 2010, I started my Master’s degree in Piano Pedagogy at Central Michigan University.
- Color In My Piano continued to grow and change. A new Printables page allowed for easier navigation through free resources, and new Facebook integration gave readers a new way to stay updated.
- As of February 28, 2010 (the 1 year anniversary), Color In My Piano has had a total of 18,371 views and has about 50 subscribers. The record number of page views in one day is 425 on February 11, 2010!
The Second Year:
- I continued to work on my Master’s degree and teach between 5-10 students each week. My GA (Graduate Assistant) responsibilities kept me busy teaching college level Class Piano courses to music majors and collaborating with other vocalists and instrumentalists.
- Color In My Piano gained a Reading List page and a Highlights page, and begun asking monthly forum questions which quickly turned into weekly Forum Q&A’s.
- As of February 28, 2011 (the 2 year anniversary), Color In My Piano has had a total 169,274 views, 177 email subscribers, and 172 readers who “like” us on Facebook. The record number of views in one day is 1,192 on January 11, 2011!
The Third Year:
- In May of 2011, I graduated with a Master of Music in Piano Pedagogy. Over the summer, my husband and I moved to Ohio (where he is working on another Master’s degree in Creative Writing) where I started my studio over from scratch! I bought a piano, we started renting a charming little house with a perfect dining room for my studio room, and I am currently teaching 13 students each week.
- Color In My Piano recently updated to add a new horizontal navigation menu, which makes browsing a little easier.
- As of February 28, 2012 (the 3 year anniversary), Color In My Piano has a total of 573,423 views, 310 email subscribers, and 465 readers who “like” us on Facebook. The record number of views in one day is 2,576 on February 27, 2012 (yesterday)! All I can say is: wow, and thank you!!
In celebration of this anniversary, I’d like to sponsor a few giveaways this week. Today, I’m giving away this little vanilla candle, wrapped in vintage sheet music by moi:
- To enter, leave a comment below describing what you love about Color In My Piano, or about something you’d like to see more of in the future!
- Giveaway ends Monday, March 5 at Midnight EST. The winner will be announced Tuesday, March 6.
- Winner will be chosen via random number generator.
Good luck! And stay tuned for a couple more giveaways coming later this week. :)