Christmas Gift for Piano Students

Here’s what I gave my students for Christmas this year:

A Symphony chocolate bar, and a personalized glass ornament.

I found the glass ornaments at a craft store (Hobby Lobby).  On each ornament, I wrote the student’s name and “2011″ on the ornament using a paint pen.  I put colorful confetti and pieces of old sheet music inside each ornament.  I thought they turned out cute!

For my adult students, I bought music dictionaries.  The A to Z of Foreign Musical Terms is my favorite music dictionary.  I don’t mind spending a little extra on the adult students to get something they would really use and appreciate.  :)

This entry was posted in seasonal / holiday and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted 20 December 2011 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Soooo cute….I think that is what I might do for next year!! Where do you get the old music paper?

• Posted 20 December 2011 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

I have tons of old sheet music sitting around, mostly stuff that old ladies from church gave me. It’s falling apart and unusable, except for craft projects like this one! :) You could check thrift stores perhaps. You could also print sheet music pdfs from imslp.org, although the paper won’t be a lovely aged golden color. :)

2. Posted 20 December 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

What a gift idea. I love symphonies!

3. Caroline
    Posted 6 January 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

What a lovely idea! It inspires me to be more generous with my students. After a few years of printed sheet music i ran out of ideas this year (and time) and just gave a candy cane:/ Thanks for sharing your ideas!!

4. Amy
    Posted 18 May 2012 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Could you tell me what size the ornaments were? I’d like to do the same thing but didn’t know how small was too small to write the kiddos’ names on. Thanks!

• Posted 21 May 2012 at 9:14 am | Permalink

My local craft store had three sizes available: 2 5/8”, 3 1/4”, or 4”. I think I bought the medium size. The large ones would certainly work fine, and maybe the little ones too. I don’t think it would be difficult to write their names on any of the sizes. Good luck!

5. Posted 4 November 2012 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

I’m very inspired by your ideas! I love your site so much, it has helped me a lot with my teaching, so thank you for putting the time to do this!

6. Posted 4 November 2012 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

where did you get the symphony chocolates?

• Posted 6 November 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Look in the candy aisle at your local grocery store. They often have Symphony bars near the large Hershey chocolate bars. I had trouble finding them too — but they were there at both Wal-Mart and Meijers in my town.

7. Suzanne
    Posted 30 November 2012 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

I’m sure that the students will treasure these ornaments. They certainly look marvelous! Could you give me an estimate of the cost?

8. Suzanne
    Posted 30 November 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Forgot to mention that you can make your own music paper look old Try these ideas http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Paper-Look-Old